Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Transformers game good?! it's about Optimus Prime!

Look mom, I can finally play as one of my childhood pastimes and it's actually fun! No it's not clunky, and yes I can transformer anytime I want. Ok,ok I'm trying not to be too nostalgic but man I love it when game developers get it right or at the very least make a good attempt. I'm talking about the new Transformer IP "Transformers: War for Cybertron" and as longtime fan, I'm loving it. I mean it isn't a movie game (thank God) so you get more flexibility from the story and characters. It's like all the G1 characters we actually care about: Optimus, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Ironhide, Jetfire, Megatron, Starscream, Thundercracker, Soundwave, Brawl and Barricade! I'm sure I missed a few but so what; I just gave you an A-list of awesome transformers! The single player is pretty good. You have the option of play as either Autobot or Decepticons. Chronoligically, the Decepticons campaign starts first. It was actually the more boring of the two but I still had ball playing Megatron in all his crazed filled awesomeness. And I loved that at the beginning of certain chapters you had the option to choose which Transformer you wanted to control, I mean if you don't want to be the leader you can be the scout. Pretty cool. I like me some Optimus Prime and this game actually shows you how he became the leader of the Autobots and required the Matrix of leadership. I mean I'm not going say the story is foolproof because some things aren't really explained but if you care enough about it go play the game yourself. How does the game play you ask? Well I only played it on one systems so I can't vouch for the others as yet. But on my PS3, it ran pretty smoothly with some slowdown here and there. Not enough to deter me from playing or completing the game. The multiplayer is really the "meat and potatoes" in this rodeo. There are several multiplayer modes to choose from. "Escalation" is a mode for exclusive pre-order characters and characters unlocked during the campaign. Non-stop waves of robots attack until the player(s) are defeated, similar to Gears of War "Horde" mode and Call of Duty: World at War "Nazi Zombies". Players are also able to spend points earned from defeated enemies on health, ammo, new weapons and unlocking new areas in the map. There is also the jack of all multiplayer modes, Deatmatch and Team Deathmatch! "Deathmatch" is a free-for-all game type where the player with the most kills at the end of the game is the winner. In "Team Deathmatch" players are divided into Autobot and Decepticon teams.[4] The winning team is the one who earns the most kills. There is also "Conquest" mode. Its a capture-and-hold style game, similar to the conquest mode found in the Star Wars Battlefront series. In "Countdown to Extinction" players must take an active bomb and place it at an enemy base, similar to the Assault mode in the Halo series. "Power Struggle" is the game's equivalent to the common Capture the Flag game type. Finally "Code of Power" is a mode consisting of two and a half minute rounds where teams vie for a giant melee weapon. Competitive multiplayer games do not allow use of canon Transformers. Players must create their own Transformer based on the class they wish to play which determines their vehicle form. They may then choose a specific look for that form, and customize the color scheme, weaponry and abilities they take into battle. Classes include a "Leader" class, a "Soldier" class, a "Scientist" class, and a "Scout" class, each with unique abilities, vehicular transformation, and weapon loadouts. Scouts are cars, Leaders are trucks, Scientists are jets and Soldiers are tanks. The multiplayer aspect also features a experience and leveling up system, including perks, and upgrades. After all is said and done, the game is awesome! It does the Transformers justice! It's more than meets the eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment